Now in Technicolor

I was striking in black and white. You couldn't see my red spots. You couldn't see my racoon eyes. But what fun is life without those?

Sunday, July 30, 2006

A Little Bit of Culture in My Life, A Little Bit of Live Shows By My Side

Okay. Here's a thing I don't like about myself:

I'm an uncultured swine. It's really that simple. I sit here and act as if my grammatical expressions are the result of some sleepless studies of obsessive reading over the great authors of our times, but it's not. None of it is. You know the latest book I've read? Me neither! I can't remember for the life of me the last time I read something that was more than a magazine article long.

(sidenote: I miss-spelled viciously in my last entry. Not the first time. Yeah, that one. Apologies.)

Don't get me wrong. I want nothing more but to be cultured, obnoxiously so. I want to be so cultured that my nose literally turns up at the end (a feat for a jewish girl). But, also, in addition to all that, I want to see more plays. I want to save money from going to movies and see plays. Let me rewrite that: I want to have money to see more plays. There, revision was needed.

Here's the thing, culture costs money. I realize this. But here's another thing. If I want it I will sacrifice to get it. I think it's a little whiney? No, maybe not whiney. Maybe it's more of an excuse thing. People who say they want to see more plays and then claim to have no money for it. If you love shoes enough to buy them in mass quantities despite your apparent lack of money, if you love technology enough to buy cameras despite your apparent lack of money, or if you love movies enough to rent and purchase them despite that same lack of money then love plays enough to buy one ticket to one play a month (like a monthly fee on cultural enlightenment) instead of buying that new dress, new shoes, box of cigarettes, or Ben & Jerry's Half-Baked half-pint of icecream (guilty).

But, if you're in a bind like I am and you can't afford any of the other stuff to begin with, don't fret. Culture is in everything. You could go downtown, but I'm telling you that life is a fantastic experiment in culture. Ya don't have to sit in a chair and watch someone onstage to be culture-fied. Though, if you get a chance to see a play, I recommend trying everything, both the bad and good. One play bi-yearly. Quarterly.

My new goal. A play a month. Paying off my play bill. ...*snort*

Ah, but I'm cheating. I've heard-tell of a little blog round these parts. KnoxTheatre
A local little blog with a man who seems to be on the nudge nudge with the local theatre and performances. I'm hoping his reviews will help me pick that fraction of my paycheck to use best. And if not, that pair of shoes has been calling my name for a week.

currently: ambitious

current picture:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home