Now in Technicolor

I was striking in black and white. You couldn't see my red spots. You couldn't see my racoon eyes. But what fun is life without those?

Friday, August 11, 2006

When Customers Go Nice or An Epiphany or Two.

I should be ashamed to say this. I disgust even myself with the autrocity of ignorance in this very unlikely epiphany! But, here it lies, finally unveiled from my consciousness. I finally, at last, realized the connection with the song Sugar Daddy from Hedwig and the story: Hansel and Gretel from German folklore. Hansel traces the trail of candy back and finds a large Sugar Daddy much like Hansel and Gretel making a similar trail of bread crumbs in the woods to eventually find a large candy house. The metaphor sort of takes a U-turn, though, when the witch tries to eat Gretel. Granted I'm sure there's some hidden symbolism somewhere.

I find familiarity in the Hedwig story, which has recently become my latest revisited obsession. I say obsession in the most tame way. I may be on a Hedwig kick, listening to the soundtrack on repeat in my car. But I'm not buying tomatoes to smash on my chest anytime soon. I don't like tomatoes. Well, I have grown a fondness for the smell of them due to recent events, but I digress.

The reason why Hedwig resonates with me so strongly is that I find a nearly impossible kind of kinship with the main character. We are so different, the fictional character and I, that it is incredibly improbable that anything familiar be identified. But, being able to tell that there are similarities makes me hope that, maybe, because I can find similarities in a character most unlike me maybe I'm not so odd nor strange as I first thought. Because I've perceived myself so contrary to everyone else it gives me a kind of lift that maybe because I can find familiarity in a character who I also find contrary to myself, maybe I fit in more than I thought I did.

You know, it's an entire misconception that the odd people want to be odd. The truly odd have this nearly illegal desire to be normal. To be able to socialize like everyone else does. To be able to connect in a way other than through the back door of people's personalities. Hedwig brings a very important theme to the forefront. This was brought up with Rocky Horror Picture Show, but in a different more abstract sort of sporatic way. I would never compare the two except to say they both give freaks (self titled and societal) something to grasp and belong to. Something that makes sense in a way that only they, okay 'we,' can understand. You can't tell us something. You've got to show us in vibrant colors of joy and pain. We don't get subtle hints. We usually don't give them either.

But who am I to speculate the freaks? And why am I going by the slang term? I should just use the scientific term: homosapiens. It gets closer to the point that way, I think.

When Customers Go Nice:
I'm struggling with an awkward box.

Let me take a moment to shush the perversions out of my head before I go on.

Ah, there. Released, all better now.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, it seems, a customer leaps out with kempt blonde hair and a pudgy, though helpful, hand. She moves the obstacle of my concern, a flap of a box where I am trying to put the box in my hand at.

Let me take another moment to shush the perversions out of my head...

Okay...no wait...

Alright! All clear!

She says, "There, that might be easier." I give her a sincere thankyou and go on with my life.

I think in this world of retail hell it is with the most sincerest of thankyous that we should give any customer going out of their way to prove that they aren't all controlling, impatient, ignorant, mean-spirited jerks of leeches. No judgement, of course.

currently: hog swaddled

current picture:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home