Now in Technicolor

I was striking in black and white. You couldn't see my red spots. You couldn't see my racoon eyes. But what fun is life without those?

Monday, July 31, 2006

Months 1&2 Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Ticket order for Hedwig and the Angry Inch put in for this coming Saturday. CHECK!

So, remember that plan I talked about in my last journal entry? The one about seeing one play per month. I've added a disclaimer. If a particularly good play goes to two months and your work schedule just happens to fall that you could see it two times per two months then that play can and will count for both months even if it's the same play.

I'm taking my mom to see it. I think she'll adore it and we both need a bit of cheering up and escapism as it comes to our financial situation. Granted, I'm spending more money which seems to add onto our current disability with money, but it seems like what we need. One of those emotional girl things where my logical male half is shoved to the back of the room to sit in the corner and think about what money we're just throwing into the wind.

I'm not stereotyping here by saying girls are passionate and boys are logical. I'm generalizing. There's a distinctive, yet equally offensive, difference.

The thing is, about a play like this, there is no doubt it will not be the same play that was seen Thursday. If my dad was here and not in a nursing home he'd probably squint his eyes and ask "Why would you want to see the same play again for more money than the first time?" And I would reply, "Because it was fantastic the first time. But it won't be the same kind of fantastic the second time." And he would tilt his head down and bury his eyes up into his salt and pepper eyebrows and shake his head "no." Lucky for me, he's not here to offer such sage advice.

Now, with something like Big River not much is going to change during the course of its performances (though I sincerely doubt that anyone went to see that musical more than once because it was just so fantastic. Now, it was good, I don't argue that. But something was lacking and nagging and, oh yes, the lead roll. Anyway, I'm sure I'm offending someone otherwise fabulous. So I'll stop here.) Big River is that type of structured sort of performance that can't lead to much deviation unless a pink elephant drops squarely on the lead's head. (tee, okay, now I'll stop) The only big way it could change is if the lead or other members were any more on key or less on key or didn't get their lines or delivered their lines in a different way from one night to the other.

I think I just adore the black box theatre style, too. I love seeing people who won't follow the actors as they move around. They just stare at the stage-like side and ignore their peripheral perhaps in some desperate hope that they'll come back to the stage and everything be like it should again. I'm an "over-turner", I find. I turn at everything. If the character went completely behind me I'd be face to face with them before they could tap me on the shoulder. Also, I watch other characters as they leave. I want to see everything. It's very exciting. I'm like a kitten being waved with a little fuzzy ball.

*boink boink* Oooh! Left now!
*boink boink* Oooh! To the right! Look at that!
*boink boink* *falls on head*

I was reading something on here about making your blog popular. It said to by no means write diatribes and keep your paragraphs and entries short and to the point. I'm glad I don't have the desire to impart my wisdom on the masses with short to-the-point entries. It'd probably lead to some sort of genocide eventually.

currently: freckled and pimpled.

current picture:Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home