Now in Technicolor

I was striking in black and white. You couldn't see my red spots. You couldn't see my racoon eyes. But what fun is life without those?

Friday, April 20, 2007

The Minutes Before the Moment

11:50am
The fake woodgrain of my desk is the only thing I can think about writing about. An old SONY fm/am radio sits with its silver antennae pointing east.
11:51am
I am surpised at how few words I can think to write in a minute. How my mind ticks so slowly through the seconds and my fingers are waiting with bated breath for the next smart thing to come out of my mind.
11:52am
The phone rings.
11:53am
Emily isn't coming in today because she's sick. She's not been here since Monday. There are two things to copy and a video to take back to the media center in her box.
11:54am
A cinnamon roll sits 3/4s eaten in my new tupperware container from my new lunchbox. I can't think of anything amazing to say. It's six minutes until--
11:55am
I'm starting to think that writing minute by minute might not have inspired the creativity I thought it would. All I can think, with five minutes till, is of the minutes in the lives of 33 people before seeing the world as it was for the last time. It's a depressing thought--but perhaps they're happy despite it all.
11:56am
I am stumped. Minutes should mean so much more and last so much longer than they do. If I were forced to live life minute by minute--I think I'd rush around so much I'd forget to see. And yet,
11:57am
People are talking in the halls. Students are gabbing rushing through the corridor in a slow gait. The clock on the wall is a little slow or fast. People are thinking, I can feel their thoughts. Some people aren't, and I can feel
11:58am
A minute lasts too long. People can think too much in a minute. They can second think, rethink, stop thinking, breath in and out enough to revive, stop breathing
11:59am
The boss called noon early according to my clock.
12:01
So I waited another minute. It's weird because I could still hear people talking.
12:02
Even though I could feel people pause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home