Now in Technicolor

I was striking in black and white. You couldn't see my red spots. You couldn't see my racoon eyes. But what fun is life without those?

Friday, June 01, 2007

I Know You Missed My Intelligent Entries About Petty Issues

So here's more:

Before House, M.D. made his role known on the small screen quiping crotchity remarks while waving his cane about there was, in print on heavy cardstock, Maxine. I haven't read Maxine in eons. I used to peruse the Hallmark (tm)(r)(c) section of the department store constantly but I've, since, fallen out of that routine.

Maxine voiced what everyone, no matter if you were a blue-haired old lady with arthritis or a scrawny 10 year old with a penchant for watching late night TV, wanted to say but had neither the wit nor courage to do so. And while Gregory House is a stunning specimen of the male gender despite (or perhaps because of) his scruffy perpetual 5 o'clock and gimp posture, Maxine is simply Maxine.

There is nothing attractive about Maxine despite her charming personality. There is no jealousy of her bathrobe, funky hairstyle, or waist long breasts (of which she mentions a time or two), but she is just herself.

And so, to satiate my inner aggrivation at the idiocy of simple life, let me share with you a few of my favorite Maxine quotes.

All I want is a little understanding. Like, when I say "Get lost, pal!" I really want you to understand that.
I'd eat more fruits and vegetables if they tasted more like microwaved burritos.
Ah, the thrill of watching kicking, blocking, tackling, running..... but enough about fall sales at the mall.
As far as I am concerned, the perfect bra is a sweatshirt.
Why don't you slip into something more comfortable...like a coma.
Well aren't you just the most adorable black hole of need.
Don't let your mind wander...it's too small to be let out on its own.
You really are as pretty as a picture...I'd like to hang you.
I'd like to give you a going away present...first, do your part.
My bra is more of a cross-your-waist.

Okay, enough of that. I'm already guilty of taking up too much space for anyone who has this journal in syndication on their friends pages more than once.

I do want to mention something about livejournal, while I've segued gracefully to that subject. Some people might be privy to what is being called "Strikeout 2007" (hoist your colors, rah rah rah, and all that rot). For those not privvy (I spelled it a different way the second time, one of them has to be correct) to this occurence:

Brad was away. Brad is the livejournal part of the livejournal/six apart corporation. Six Apart CEO what'shisface smiling smugly on his lj icon was taking his place. Some anti-pedophile group sent a complaint to livejournal about there being pro-pedophile activity on many livejournals. Six Apart CEO (lets call him SAC) said, "Alright, we'll just delete every person with a keyword of incest, pedophile, or any indication of violence or rape in their interests." And so they did, with no former warning. Rumor has it (as rumor often has control of many things) that millions of journals were deleted in a generally poor and haphazardly way.

SAC's actions caused the, sorry, suspension (not deletion) of a few support groups for rape victims and a dog gone good deal of fictional journals. Personally, I could care less about all of this going on, mainly, because I wasn't affected and haven't been a regular visitor of LJ until I started playing Max Headroom in arrivals_only and tried to continue to play Ophilia Whitaker in kit_kat_klub. But it fascinates me the government of the internet.

Even though it's been around for a terribly long time the internet as a means of community, communication, and information is still in its infancy. People who run larger companies, like SAC does, are flying by the seat of their pants on how to handle the democracy and morality of being a notable online company. We're not talking websites of large real-world companies (like Wal*Mart's website), but companies who have all of their services available online (like blogging sites and E-bay). We are entering a new age of just about everything. Not many people under 30 who live in even a modestly urban community fail to have an email account at the very least but most of the time sharing with it a screenname of some messaging system and an online blog to share their most witty, interesting experiences--or just crap like I put up.

This new online world fascinates me! I remember back in the day when all you could really experience on a computer was cheesy games of golf, microsoft paint, solitaire, and Oregan Trail. I didn't get my first computer until I was well in highschool and we STILL have that computer today!

I wonder how much longer this freedom to experience everything online is going to last before the big communication and media companies like Comcast or AT&T/Bellsouth will latch onto the web and make it their own and everyone else's for a considerable fee, censoring those used-to-be free speech sites. Until then, I'm practicing, in depth, my freedom of speech. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Type away, young warriors. For soon this land, too, will be poached with a corporate flag. But before that day comes we can celebrate what was as what is now.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home